For years, garage door openers were an off-overlooked convenience that homeowners owned, but never thought about, much less actually improved. However, there have been recent advancements in garage doors that have made them much safer, quieter and more powerful than old garage door openers. They are also easy for anyone to install.
The main feature to look for in its opener design is the weight lifting capacity and horsepower. 1/2 hp is sufficient for most standard aluminum doors, while 3/4 hp will be necessary for lifting heavier doors such as those made from wood. 300 pounds is the standard max lifting capacity, while 550 pounds is optimal for the aforementioned heavier doors. Aside from that, safety features and noise should factor into your decision. Strong locking mechanisms, extra automatic lights, and reverse-opening are nice to have, while silent operation offers additional convenience. Another key security feature is the ability to change the code automatically after use, to prevent unauthorized use.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Overhead Garage Door Openers Reviews
- 7. Garage Door Opener Elite Series DC Battery Backup Without Rail Assembly
- 6. Genie 2562-TC PowerLift 900 1/2 HP AC Screw Garage Door Openers
- 5. Chamberlain PD212D 1/2 HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener
- 4. Genie 1022-C 1/2-Horsepower DC ChainLift Garage Door Opener
- 3. SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener
- 2. MYQ-Enabled Whisper Belt Drive Garage Door Opener
- 1. Whisper Drive Garage Door Opener with MyQ Technology and Battery Backup
Table of the Best Overhead Garage Door Openers Reviews
7. Garage Door Opener Elite Series DC Battery Backup Without Rail Assembly
With its powerful 3/4 hp motor, this garage opener is strong enough to open many styles of garage doors, including wood, and gatehouse-style ones. It comes with standard safety features, which include an infrared beam that detects if there’s anything underneath the garage door. It will automatically reverse if it encounters anything underneath, which makes it safe if you have kids or pets running amok. Even during power outages, this garage door opener comes with a backup battery, so you can rest assured that it will still work reliably. It comes with a single 3 button remote that is simple to use, and it lets you program the timer, clock and light duration.
- It is easy to monitor and control garage opener with the smartphone.
- Its design is reliable, powerful and durable for use.
- it is battery backup power.
- It helps to safeguard for home or household.
6. Genie 2562-TC PowerLift 900 1/2 HP AC Screw Garage Door Openers
Featuring a standard 1/2 hp motor, this garage opener from Genie comes at a solid price and is easy to install. It comes with 2 3-button remote controls and a wall console that is easy to access and use. The Safe-T Beams will automatically detect if there is anything underneath the door, to ensure your safety. The system uses an auto-seek dual frequency, which will detect 315 or 390 MHz frequency that the remote control uses. This technology makes sure that users will be able to reliably open their garages even if there is frequency interference in the area.
5. Chamberlain PD212D 1/2 HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener
This 1/2 horsepower garage opener from Chamberlain is a great choice for any homeowner looking for a fairly inexpensive model. It works with any 7’0″ standard aluminum garage door. It comes with 2 single button remotes, which makes it extremely easy to operate. The wall panel also allows you to adjust various options. It is a breeze to assemble and wire properly, and the instructions are well illustrated. It is very quiet during operation, making it less of a disturbance for others inside the house. More: Garage Storage Racks
- It has 2 single button remotes.
- It is for wall control panel.
- It uses chain drive.
4. Genie 1022-C 1/2-Horsepower DC ChainLift Garage Door Opener
With a 350 lbs maximum lifting capacity and 1/2 hp motor, this is the perfect garage opener for any standard style door. Its best feature is its soft start and stop. This wears down your garage door less compared to other standard models, which gives it more long-term reliability. The quick connect wiring makes it easy to install, even for newcomers. It comes with an IntelliTouch panel which you can set limits on. The Genie Intellicode technology prevents any unauthorized access, as it will change the code every time you use it. It comes with a single 3 button remote. More: Garage Bike Racks
3. SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener
With an easiness to install mounting bracket and strong motor with 3/4 horsepower, this garage opener is very effective. It is surprisingly quiet considering the fact that it can smoothly lift heavier 7 to 8 feet doors. Rather than using a chain or belt drive, it uses only a single moving part. Since it uses only a single moving part, it operates very quietly, making it ideal for any homeowner. It features a soft start and stops technology to preserve the health of your garage door. It comes with a safety beam sensor that will automatically reverse if it detects any obstacle interruption as it is operating.
- The opening garage door has no vibration.
- It has two x 2-button transmitters and 1 interior wall station.
2. MYQ-Enabled Whisper Belt Drive Garage Door Opener
Featuring a wide array of convenient features, this 1/2 hp garage door opener provides great value. It features a belt drive system that is ultra-quiet while operating. The motor itself comes with an exclusive Motor Vibration Isolation System (MVIS). You can set the time it takes to close the door automatically after 1, 5 or 10 minutes. The rail system included is easy to install in just a minute or two, and the system is compatible with HomeLink. It uses a PosiLock anti-theft system that ensures the door is locked and stays locked after closing.
- It is designed to help reduce powerhead vibration voice.
- It is easy to use the smartphone to control and monitor garage door opener.
- It is easy to set time to close garage door automatically.
- It is easy for quick and fast installation.
1. Whisper Drive Garage Door Opener with MyQ Technology and Battery Backup
With reliable technology that you can trust, this high-powered garage door opener from Chamberlain is an excellent choice for consumers looking to upgrade their stock models. It uses an automatic force-sensing technology that monitors temperature fluctuations, and other movements. You can set the timer to close after 1 to 10 minutes, and the motion-detecting control panel lets you program your remote controls and other compatible MyQ motion lighting accessories. It comes with two remote controls, a wireless entry system, and a control panel.